Apparently the combination of a WLAN router that blocks IPv6 DNS queries of type AAAA (in my case, it was a Siemens S1621-Z220-A sold as Alice Modem 1121 WLAN) and the current version of Google Earth for Linux (I am using 5.1.3533.1731 from Medibuntu) do not work well together. The problem is that the router simply throws away AAAA queries (or generally, any type it does not know), so the DNS query times out. However, Google Earth does not seem to fall back to IPv4 queries (type A) in this case, and shows a message about network connectivity errors. I don’t know if it’s Google Earth’s fault or if the underlying eglibc resolver of my Linux system does something wrong, anyhow there is a fairly well-commented bug report on Launchpad for Ubuntu Karmic and Lucid which explains the issue.
Anyway, I got rid of the problem by manually configuring a nameserver on my local machine (for example the nameserver(s) of your internet provider, or the ones of OpenDNS), and not using the WLAN router as a resolver. NetworkManager allows you to do this by editing a connection and choosing “Automatic DHCP (Addresses only)” on the IPv4 register tab; or you can write the settings directly to your /etc/resolv.conf (here for the OpenDNS servers):
nameserver 220.127.116.11 nameserver 18.104.22.168
I was on the train today, needed some of the Boost manuals, and had no internet connection. So I wanted to use my phone (an old HTC Prophet with Windows Mobile 6.1) as a network access point to browse over GPRS/EDGE. As I found out, it is fairly simple with Blueman and it even provides NetworkManager integration, so all NetworkManager-capable applications can be notified about the connectivity. Windows Mobile 6.1 allows tethering over a Bluetooth PAN (Personal Area Network); but there is another method called DUN (Dial Up Networking), which I will not describe here. So here is a step-by-step tutorial what I did for my PAN approach, with a few (german) screenshots, tested on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid:
- Since my laptop was running on Ubuntu Lucid, there was already a recent Blueman version in the Ubuntu repos available. On older systems, you may want to add the Blueman Launchpad PPA.
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:blueman/ppa # only necessary on pre-lucid systems sudo aptitude update sudo aptitude install blueman
Note that this also removes possibly installed gnome-bluetooth packages since Blueman is an adequate replacement for the GNOME Bluetooth UI.
- After the installation has finished, I had to enable the NMPANSupport plugin for NetworkManager 0.8 by right-clicking on the Blueman icon in the GNOME notification area and selecting “Plugins”. For older NetworkManager versions, there is also a plugin for NetworkManager 0.7, called NMIntegration.
- Then I activated tethering on my phone (“Programs” → “Internet Sharing” on my Windows Mobile 6.1, but YMMV). Apparently this was neccesary with my model, because without tethering enabled I could not get a Bluetooth PAN connection in the next step.
- I paired the phone and my laptop via Bluetooth, and created a PAN (Personal Area Network) by connecting to the “Network Access Point” service on the phone. In Blueman, all you have to do after pairing is right-click on the device and select “Connect To: Network Access Point”. This creates a new network device bnep0 which is automagically configured through NetworkManager (using a stateless address autoconfiguration).
- However, in my setup, though I was able to ping certain IP adresses on the internet, DNS lookups timed out for some reason. It got better when I explicily set an IP address for the Bluetooth PAN driver on my phone, and did the tethering process all over again.
- And off I went with mobile internet access. Woo-hoo! \o/
I may also add that the NetUsage plugin in Blueman is very reasonable to use 😉 After activated, the network usage can be viewed by right-clicking on the Blueman icon and selecting “Network Usage”.
…note to myself: Remove a potentially mounted SD card before suspending your SL510, otherwise the kernel gets stuck…
Update: Turned out the SD card was a bit buggy, the driver mostly got a timeout when trying to speak with it.